A co-worker presented me with a jar of fresh-cut flowers from her yard. They’re Christmas lilies.
Though many ALTs travel during the spring holidays, I spent mind behind my desk. And what have I been doing, you ask? Reading up on race and ethnicity in Japanese American beauty pageants. Writing hundreds of kanji flashcards. Devouring a biography of M.F.K. Fisher, a key individual in food writing. Scouring recipe listings on epicurious.com. Envying beautiful food blogs.
My latest experiments in the kitchen have revolved around salmon and tofu, nutritious and cheap. For one night, I grilled cakes of flaked salmon mixed with breadcrumbs and thickly cut green onions. I served them over mashed potatoes with a garlic spinach sauté. With the latter of my base ingredients, I attempted to imitate the brilliant furikake-crusted tofu served atop salads at Alan Wong’s Pineapple Room. I coated the bean curd with crushed whole wheat crackers and sesame furikake then browned it in a frying pan. The crust turned out to be crispy and delicious, but it fell apart too easily. Next time I’ll use an egg white wash. I ate the tofu with brown rice and a dipping sauce of light shoyu, ground ginger, and chopped green onions.

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿