水曜日, 4月 16, 2008

In Which I Think Too Much About Hair

Reading: Many a book on 九州.
Listening: "そばにいるね," 青山テルマ feat. SoulJa*
Craving: spinach quiche
Mood: dreamy, like lemon madeleines

*I'm crazyinlove with SoulJa (not the SoulJa of CrankThatSoulJaBoy fame). Check out "Rain" or "ここにいるよ," in which he partners with the Thelma Aoyama listed above. His lyrics are poetry!

With three more rounds of my dull self-introduction lesson, my day was a bit of a snooze. Yet at the end of the day, I was pleased to have had the classes go well, and I happily stamped images of a chubby hula dancer on the students' papers.

Komori-sensei assigned me homework tonight--a short story entitled "Tonkatsu." He's good about educating me on all things Japan--to cut soba using a large knife and a steady hand (as I've mentioned previously) or to spot the clunky Western boots peeking from the hakama of Shikoku's famous Sakamoto Ryoma statue. Now we're moving to literature, and we'll be discussing archaic Japanese words tomorrow.

I walked to コープ after work today, having not bought groceries in awhile. I filled my cart with the usual good stuff--brown rice, fresh spinach, plain yogurt--but somehow I slipped through the junk food aisle and checked out with a large bag of chocolate chip cookies. Eek! Let's hope they don't all disappear tonight.

As I ate dinner, I watched the teen movie Sky High, the story of a high school of superheroes. It was okay. Initially, the protagonist shows no sign of having inherited any abilities from his super parents, and he's placed in the educational program for sidekicks, also known as "Hero Support." During a cafeteria fight with a good-looking bully (played by Steven Strait, now in 10,000 B.C.), however, his powers miraculously kick in, and lo-and-behold, he goes on to save the day. Wouldn't the story have gone along fine if he learned to be a hero without special powers? Slightly disappointed, I did some research on Kyushu for grand Golden Week adventures, and having grown sleepy, I'm now typing together daily thoughts.

People are suffering around the world, but my shallow dilemma of the day involves my hair, whose current style feels worn out. I want to pull off something elegant and beautiful like long curls. but I'm neither of those adjectives. I'm clumsy and quirky, which better matches a weird bird cut. Furthermore, a good amount of hair blame lies with me: I can't be bothered with product or even a blow dryer, the latter of which I only own thanks to my mother sending me back to Japan with one. It's been ten weeks since my last cut, but the mane has already grown into a heavy mess. Yet summer is fast approaching, and I feel I may have an excuse to chop everything off. In brilliant Zokka fashion, of course. Followed by a head massage. Stay tuned.

Friday is Haircut Day!


It's much longer than it appears, owing to the curl-up-and-under characteristic of the ends.

We're over the hump! And tomorrow I'll have fresh flowers with which to decorate my room.

0 件のコメント: