金曜日, 4月 25, 2008

A Meaty Early Birthday

Reading: Crowning the Nice Girl, Christine R. Yano
Listening: "What a Feeling," Namie Amuro
Craving: nothing
Mood: happy

Today was a good day.

  • Classes were productive. Students worked hard.
  • Flower Arrangement Club let out early. We worked with calla lilies, the most elegant of flowers. Sensei had no critique to make of my piece, and it's now on display in the school 玄関.
  • I met the girls in Harborland for dinner. I bought chocolate dinner mints and honey vanilla tea.
We ate at Sabbath Brasiliano, an all-you-can-eat Brazilian restaurant in which waiters circulate the tables offering tender slices of meat off sticks. It was my second time eating there, and I haven't been disappointed yet. The view is great and the food is delicious. Not to mention I've been lucky with the best of company each time.

As we sat down, the girls surprised me with birthday gifts! (As my birthday is not until May 1st, I had ZERO suspicions of these plans.) I most loved the birthday rap performance by Lena and Heather, ghetto superstars. We filled ourselves on tender cuts of juicy garlic steak and plenty of conversation. I've written PLENTY about these girls, but I can't stress enough that they are soul mates. Though thousands of miles away from Honolulu, because I have them, I've never felt without family in Japan. Cheesy as it sounds, we do support each other through thick and thin--tough times like dealing with heartbreak and through wonderful times, like Heather's engagement and wedding planning. I realize that with our separate personalities and strengths, we kind of resemble Captain Planet and his super team. But hotter.

Earth is Heather, whose strength, both physical (Have you seen her arms?) and emotional, we all respect.
Fire is Kelly, aka Miss Sexy Island Girl, who has both the looks that stop men in their tracks and the brains to keep them wanting more.
Wind is me, the capricious one who can't quite find her path in life, but loves to blow in and out of the lives of others.
Water is Brenda, who like the ocean, exudes both power and calm.
Heart is Lena, the most loving and giving girl I've ever known.


It's surprisingly rare to find a picture of all five of us!

Brenda is a former cheer captain.

Bloooood.

Oh-em-gee, the latest Ghibli offering will be out before I leave!

Before leaving the city, we took print club photos, with Bren and Kel looking like supermodels, as usual. Outside the photo booths, in an empty theater lobby, Bren, the former cheerleading captain, led Lena and Kelly in a birthday cheer for me. Aww!

You girls have been one of the best parts of my Japan experience. Without you, my life here would've been a far different one. Our next steps carry us along new and different paths, and I'll miss you like crazy, but I know you'll be amazing in whatever you choose to do. LOVE YOU!


1 件のコメント:

Unknown さんのコメント...

Aww, that was such a sweet post. We're all happy we were able to do that for you! And thanks for the photo of Mrs. Elizabeth Muffin. Love the name and I hope you got some delicious treats! Sounds like you and Chris are having a blast. Keep it up!