Saturday, March 1
Mom and I drove to
From there, we went to Yama’s to pick up poke. You remember poke, right? Put simply, it's thick chunks of raw ocean creature (i.e. fish or squid) usually mixed with shoyu, onion, sea salt, limu (seaweed), and inamona (kukui nut). It's めっちゃうまい, but with rising tuna prices, you pay more buck for your fish. We bought two small tubs: one ahi shoyu poke, one limu tako poke. In addition to yummy poke, Yama’s sells plate lunches. I ate the kalua pork and cabbage with two scoops rice and macaroni salad.
To give you perspective on the geography, Chris and I both live in East
The Leongs hosted a large party for the teachers; they devoted the day to cleaning out the garage, assembling tables and seating, and organizing an enormous assortment of food. My family was invited, as were neighbors in the area. Our Japanese visitors were mind-boggled:
1. We were having a party at the house. In the garage. Most Japanese parties involve eating out somewhere.
2. Neighbors were invited.
Our potluck line was well stocked.
ajitsuke clam dip and chips / spicy edamame / makizushi / barazushi / barbecue beef / chicken / namasu / macaroni-potato salad / fish patties/ meatballs / crab casserole / lasagna / broken glass Jell-O / coffee kanten / custard pie / lemon squares / strawberry cheesecake
I’m fiercely proud of our local food, which fills up any part of you that may be feeling empty--stomach or spirit. Family cooks here are never snobby, only serving food with the freshest ingredients, the most comforting flavors. What we eat may not follow the latest health trends, but surely it's good for you when it makes you this happy.


I really like custard pie.The teachers were warm and friendly, easy to laugh and comfortable in chatting with all of us Americans, despite the language barrier. As the sole English speaker, Chris's supervisor spoke as group representative at the close of the party, speaking on how thankful they all were to have attended, of how they would look after Chris and I in our remaining time on JET, and of how all of our families were welcome to visit their homes in Japan. Chris is truly blessed to have such kind and caring co-workers.
At the end of the evening, my parents and I took the teachers back to Waikiki, where we said our goodbyes, as they would leave the next day. The Leongs we left to the arduous task of cleaning up. With all the food, we left with plenty of leftovers. The good eating continued long past the day of the party!





0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿