I had a one-day break from Tokyo to prepare for English camp. I volunteered to assist with camp activities for the International Communication class at Miki High School, the top school for English studies in the area.
I caught the train to Miki Station and took half an hour in the sweltering heat to reach the school. I ran into students from Miki Higashi at the gate, who were surprised to see their ALT at such a strange place. In the office, I completed paperwork and chatted with the four other ALTs (who caught the taxi to the school) who would be at the camp. We caught a ride with Mr. Kanda to the Yashiro Lifelong Education Center, where we began our day's activities.
I taught the students cooking vocabulary and we made Cocoa Krispies Treats. (Plain Rice Krispies are mysteriously unavailable in Japan.) The students' conversational abilities blew me away, though maybe not as much as my ability to eat TEN BATCHES of Rice Krispie Treats in a a few hours.
In the evening, following baths and dinner, the students held a chorus contest. They performed an assortment of Western songs (e.g. Wham's "Last Christmas" and the Carpenters' "Top of the World") that no American students their age would choose to sing.
At 10:00 pm, the teachers organized for a "meeting," paired with a drinking party. Oh kids. Do you see what you do to us?
Thursday, August 9
After breakfast, students prepared for a recitation contest, one of the innumerable assignments that they had been given for the camp. As group leaders, we ALTs were asked to select the five competitors for the final round. I matter-of-factly chose the only student who had memorized all of his speech, a boy with perfect pronunciation (and English) who had lived in California for a year.
The students all did well. The winner received a package of fireworks for enjoyment with his family. Following the contest, we ate lunch, took photos in the cicada-filled courtyard, and said our goodbyes. On returning home, I did laundry and took a nap.
はい、おしまい!

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿