金曜日, 6月 01, 2007

"Business Trip"

Reading: House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski
Listening: Color Your Soul, Clazziquai Project

We'd planned on heading out to Kobe for the Re-Contracting Conference early, but in typical us fashion, we wound up leaving the house at 10:30 am. We checked out Ru Cafe, a cute new shop that opened up behind my station.

Lunch. Or, breakfast, actually. We ate the "hot breakfast," which included sandwiches of thinly sliced ham and cucumber snuggled between warm, toasted bread and creamy mustard sauce. Boiled egg. Crisp salad. Cafe au lait.

かわいいな!

In Sannomiya, we walked to the M-int building in search of the free hotel shuttle our friend Dylan recommended. Unfortunately, dozens of other JETs were following the same idea, and we waited in line for an hour before finally making it out to the Portopia Hotel on Port Island. We were just in time for registration.

At the Opening Ceremony. The Akashi Girls! (Well, almost all. Brenda's in the back.)
L to R: Heather, Lena, Kelly

Jamie and me, being Japanese.

Chris and I joined a group of Okinawan JETs for dinner at Chada Thai, one of our favorite Thai restaurants in Kobe. We all had drinks at Second Chance (a tropical-themed bar popular with Hyogo JETs) before breaking off our separate ways. Half the group stayed for another round of drinks; four of us headed off to Round One for a round of video games!

Chris / Jason / Chris
We missed the last train out to the island because we were waiting for our お好み焼き (okonomiyaki) to cook.

On Night Two (yes, we attended lectures all day, but it's only the social stuff that matters), we again joined the mass movement of JETs off the island and into the city for dinner and much happiness. We missed one bus, but found ourselves at the front of the line for the next one.

Check out those numbers. We're first!
L to R: Jamie, Stuart, Chris, Dylan, and Heather

I'm sure that the look on Dylan's face is intentional.

My jumbo cheeseburger from Grinders.
The burgers here are actually quite small, but their yummy-ness makes it a worthwhile visit.

Chocolate tower cakes filled with oranges at Chocolat Republic.
I bought a small bag of madeleines to take home.

Jamie is truly a sister to me, and I can't believe we've gone from daily coffee talks to seeing each other only every few months. I am happy, however, we're both finally in Japan, our dream throughout our college years.

Miss you, Jamie, and I'll see you sometime soon in Fukuoka!

1 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

ありがとうネェ! I miss you too Kristine!!! I wish we were closer to each other... like a train ride or a bus ride! But, I hope that you and Chris can make it down here... maybe in the Fall?? I want to go to Hiroshima to see the leaves... maybe we can meet up, and you guys can follow me back to Fukuoka!!! YAY!! I hope that you have a fun time with your family!! You will be an excellent guide... I know... You know where ALL the yummy eateries are located! Take care!