Prior to coming to Japan, I could scarcely cook chicken, but I loved to bake. I always took shared my creations--sour cream loaves, petite cheesecakes, red velvet cupcakes, cookies--I was happy to attempt anything, and through the wonders of a perfect oven, everything turned out deliciously.
Imagine my horror to discover in my new apartment, then, no oven, but a small convectional contraption that doesn't quite cook foods through. Being too cheap to invest in a new one, I tossed my baking skills out with the 生ゴミ and began from square one in learning how to feed myself. Lucky thing then that I spend all my time reading up on eats. I've been experimenting, working my way through pastas, fish, beef, and poultry. Chris is a good guinea pig guest, happily eating whatever I cook, but I was nervous when I volunteered to cook for my favorite people in the area at my place on Tuesday night. For my menu, I took a risk and blended two recipes I found for lemon cream pasta, one of my favorite dishes.
Everyone brought perfect additions, and over great conversation, we got full on mozzarella and tomato appetizers, crusty bread, my pasta (which turned out a bit too light), plenty of wine, and beautiful desserts.
Chris, me, Hollie, and Hase.And since I love playing hostess, we'll for sure have another dinner at my place. Though maybe not with me cooking.
Thursday, February 7
In addition to it being my grandma's birthday (お誕生日おめでとう、おばあちゃん!), it was Haircut Day for me, Bren, and Lena! I had 店長さん give me a shorter cut, but next time we'll need to go even shorter. In any case, I indulged in my shampoo, massage, and the wonderful feel of having my thick, heavy hair lightened. And it's weird, but I love having my hair touched.
Heather and Chris met us for dinner afterwards at the Saty-Vivre complex. We had hamburgers and all-you-can-eat fries, my favorite part of the meal.
In addition to it being my grandma's birthday (お誕生日おめでとう、おばあちゃん!), it was Haircut Day for me, Bren, and Lena! I had 店長さん give me a shorter cut, but next time we'll need to go even shorter. In any case, I indulged in my shampoo, massage, and the wonderful feel of having my thick, heavy hair lightened. And it's weird, but I love having my hair touched.
Heather and Chris met us for dinner afterwards at the Saty-Vivre complex. We had hamburgers and all-you-can-eat fries, my favorite part of the meal.
Awhile back, Lena gave us elephant keychains from her trip to Thailand. (Kelly, who had to stay home that evening, is missing from this picture.) Each elephant matches her owner perfectly. Our group's friendship works in the same way: we're all quite different from one another, but we're all elephants.





2 件のコメント:
man you are sooooo good at capturing me at my sexiest. my favorite line, "...but we are all elephants." hahaha. too cute.
Haha, yeah I like your elephant reasoning, too! So simple, yet so true.
コメントを投稿