Thursday, January 10
It was our New Year’s resolution to see more countries, and so we booked a trip to Korea to fill the long weekend. Four days and three nights.
We stayed up the night before and left for Kansai International Airport at 5:07 am. We departed on a leisurely 1.5 hour flight to Incheon, snacking on tea sandwiches in between napping.

We left broke, though in Korean won, it appears like we have a lot.
Chris’s college friend Matt, who lives and works in Korea with his wife, met us at the airport. We also met a Korean representative from JTB who had come to pick us and a few other tourists up. As Matt had already bought us Airport Limousine tickets, we regrouped with the representative at the hotel. The bus into downtown Seoul was a long one, and I slept for most of the way, missing all the sights.
Our stay, Hotel Poon Jun (Hotel PJ), sat along a rather seedy alleyway where elderly women cooked long-dead fish on crusty outdoor grills. The interior, however, was beautiful. We checked in and discovered that we had an enormous room with a balcony the size of the average Japanese hotel room--amazing since we had requested "whatever is cheapest" in our travel package.
We met our Korean travel agent downstairs. Between us we spoke Japanese, Chris and I knowing no Korean and she knowing no English. We rode a private van to lunch (included in the package), and our first meal in Korea was thick slabs of black pig, grilled with garlic. We wrapped the meat in lettuce leaves and seasoned with salt and spicy chili sauce. We had the requisite sides, of course. Koreans use silver chopsticks which are heavy and difficult to maneuver!

Garlic, black pig, and mushrooms.


Chris makes the most of the juicy bone.

This logo was on the supercool aprons we wore while eating. I love any restaurant that recommends you wear a bib.
After lunch, we walked through the area around our hotel, taking in the sights.

At a poop exhibit outside City Hall.

In addition to a skating rink, Seoul City Hall hosted a miniature ice festival.


We watched a re-enactment of the changing of the guard at this famous gate.

Can you see me behind the actor/guard?

This guy invented Hangeul. The new Korean alphabet, far simpler to learn than the traditionally used Chinese characters, yielded high national literacy rates.




Chris is amazed by Korean vending machines. This one sells Coca-Cola.
We went back to City Hall to meet Matt’s wife Liv, who had worked that day. I made friends with a tiger.


And I met more tigers outside!

Joined by Liv, we went walking through the city.

We found this cheery guy at a temple.
For dinner, we ate at a popular mandoo restaurant that Matt and Liv love. I was happy with the pick: the hand-filled dumplings were plump and tasty.
I had Korean beer, which turned me red even quicker than Japanese ones.

What I love most about Korean meals is the sides.
We shared a large pot of mandoo and crisp vegetables. Fat, tender dumplings stuffed with garlicky meat fell apart when halved with a spoon, and small, sticky rice cakes were tucked beneath the greens. The spicy soup encouraged ample consumption of beer. We paired the main with jjijimi, one of my favorites. The waitstaff wasn't exactly attentive, but the restaurant was so popular that they had no need to do more for customers besides bring the food. And I can hardly care when it tastes that good.
We had dessert at one of the few (the only?) Starbucks with the name written in Hangeul. I had apple crumble.
Matt and Liv dropped us off at our hotel, where I had a grand old time enjoying the Disney Channel and the enormous bath.
Friday, January 11
Stepping out of bed and opening the curtains, I discovered this:

The city was blanketed in snow. We had arrived for Seoul’s first major snowfall. What a treat!
Matt met us at our hotel and we set off for some sightseeing.



At the palace above, I began a snowball fight that left my hands frozen. Snow-hurling competitions are surely the best way to enjoy cold climate World Heritage Sites.
From the palace, we caught a taxi to Itaewon, a district known for its community of foreigners. On a side note, taxis are dirt cheap in Seoul, with the lowest fare starting at around $2. It barely crawls upward. Compare that to the rates of Japanese taxis, which start at around $7, even if you’re only going down the street. In Itaewon, we ducked into a tiny Turkish kebab shop.

Yummy!
We then taxied to the Korean War Museum. Outside stood commemorative statues, and the tragedy of the past loomed large, yet families laughed together in the spacious courtyards, rolling enormous snowballs, and I then felt thankful that life has changed for the people of this country. The exhibits are beautifully done; I knew nothing about the war, which the Koreans call the 6.25 war (it having begun on June 25), but after four hours of reading displays and watching videos, I left with understanding (albeit heavily biased on the South Korean perspective) of what happened, not to mention a deeper frustration with war.
Chris and Matt in front of the Korean War Museum.
By the time we left the museum, it was dark outside and snowing heavily. We caught a subway and then a bus out to Matt and Liv’s 'hood. We met Liv at Samsung Plaza and found dinner at a crowded galbi restaurant. We took turns grilling and cutting the oh-so-yummy tender marinated meat. These too are wrapped in lettuce and swallowed in one bite. We also shared cold, North Korean style noodles that burned my tongue.
Dessert was my pick, and I chose KRISPY KREME DONUTS! We bought as many donuts as I could afford and returned to Matt and Liv's luxurious apartment to chill.

Krispy Kreme loves you.
Saturday, January 12
We woke early to join a tour of the Korean Demilitarized Zone with the USO. We were shuffled around by bus with a group of English-speaking foreigners. How bizarre.
The large building in the background belongs to North Korea.
Awkward smiles. A woman had offered to take our photo.

A Taekwondo stance and Ray-Bans make you look like a badass.
Our group toured the room in which meetings between North and South are held. A table stands in the center, and the microphone cord that crosses it serves as a dividing line. This soldier is guarding the door that leads to North Korea.

A snowy view of "Propaganda Village." It's touted by the North Koreans as a utopian community, but no one actually lives there.
Our tour left the DMZ following a lunch of generic Korean food for a tour of a tunnel that had been secretly dug by the North Koreans in the direction of Seoul. We donned hard hats and walked quite far underground, considering how soldiers would have bent their backs and marched without complaint. The end of the tunnel journey was a view of a locked door, which led into North Korean territory. No entry allowed.
The march out of the tunnel was more of a hike, being uphill, and many of the fat American tourists became fat American whiners.


Let's pushing the two Koreas into a whole.
In the afternoon, we rested at our hotel, then set out into Dongdaemun, which is famous for its night market. Outdoor shop stalls sold wallets, sunglasses, clothing. I saw a wide collection of knock-off items, including the Louis Vuitton "Speedy" purse I've had my eye on. Food stalls blended seamlessly between the Christian Dior purses and the Adidas jackets. Red apron-clad women shouted out to passersby to eat their food. And it was tempting, with fragrant clouds of spices and the aroma of cooking meat wafting out from the tents. We never ate at any, but I loved the concept of Korean street food, which makes the city feel like one large family kitchen. In Japan, eating on the street is rare (with the exception of festival days); sipping from a cup of Starbucks coffee while walking to the train station still receives stares. And yet who doesn't, while walking, wish they had a lovely stick of beef or fish in one hand and a grilled corn on the cob in the other?
Our evening destination was CO-EX, an enormous shopping complex with a movie theater and an aquarium. We had dinner at a bibimbap restaurant, which I was proud to find after having studying a bit of Hangeul.
Chris is thrilled to have
bibimbap.
Despite the mall having a gigantic bookstore, we bought nothing. As CO-EX closed, we caught the subway back to the hotel and spent the remainder of the evening watching a scary movie.
Sunday, January 13
Despite plans to rise early and explore more of the city, we slept in. さすが us. We leisurely packed and had donuts and tea. I suggested we take a taxi to meet Matt and Liv at Seoul Station, but Chris insisted that we walk, it being only “a few blocks away.” We took half an hour to arrive. It was NOT a few blocks away.
At the station, we bid Matt a quick goodbye, as he was leaving for a job in Pusan, a city located further south. We had lunch with Liv at one of the station restaurants. More bibimbap. It seems that wasn't enough though, as Chris ate a bulgogi burger at McDonald's before we caught the bus for the airport.
And shortly thereafter, our grand adventure to Korea ended, as we returned to Kansai International, returned to Sannomiya, and returned to Miki.
When I returned, I was bombarded with queries as to what I thought of Korean rudeness. I didn't have much to say; we encountered a lack of courtesy, but it wasn't offensive or personal, and we were too busy loving the country to care. I wish we could have spent more time there, seeing and eating more. We'll for sure make another trip in the future!
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿