水曜日, 10月 03, 2007

Sporty Day

Reading: ---
Listening: "さくらんぼ," 大塚愛 (Unofficial Sports Day Theme Song)

Friday, September 21
I was out sick for 体育祭・運動会 (Sports Day) last year, and the event was a first for me.

The Opening Ceremony consisted of students marching, lifting their knees up high as the small brass band tooted away. I nearly laughed, they looked so ridiculous.

Events
- Running Relays. Many a student fell over onto the dirt track.
- "Obstacle Relays." Involved leap frog, basketball dribbling, and other such silliness.
- 玉入れ. In which small balls are tossed into baskets atop poles. Played with students from the nearby elementary school.
- 応援タイム (Cheering Time). The third-year classes strutted out in short skirts (boys too) and pom poms to choreographed dance.
- Sports Club Demonstration. During which sports club members first marched around the field then participated in a running relay, pitting club against club. The basketball boys were the fastest, but the swimmers were the most かっこいい, racing barefoot in their Speedos and swim caps.
- Tug-of-War. Class against class.
- Jump Rope. In which entire classes of 40 students jumped together in one long rope!

My favorite part of the day


I witnessed the action from the infirmary tent with my friend the nurse. A gaggle of second-year girls hovered around us, acting as assistants. I doubt the ethics of their medical work, however, considering that they only rushed to assist the good-looking boys. When one of my favorite third-years appeared, the team shrieked at nearly inaudible decibels and fought to mend the large gash on his stomach. According to one girl, not only does he have beautiful hair, but his position as lead guitarist in a band makes him めっちゃ かっこいい~!I might have to agree with that one.

Our medical tent kept quite busy throughout the day. Students required medical care because they either

1. had fallen while running
OR
2. were suffering from the heat.

Yes, it is unwise to hold a large athletic event during the sweltering Japanese summer. I heard that the shady tents beneath which the students sat were added only recently because "too many" students had gotten sick from the heat last year. I saw nary a source of hydration, with the exception of cold tea being served to visiting members of the PTA. Perhaps it is sensible to care for the participants?

We never had Sports Day in school, for which I am grateful. A single hour of P.E. class was torture for me, having always been horribly uncoordinated and having been placed in ultra-competitive classes whose members would scream at me for missing a volleyball pass. My long legs, which might be an advantage, were in fact an obstacle. Let's say that I sympathized with the students who hit the dirt hard. Still, I later asked my classes whether they enjoyed Sports Day, and they all enthusiastically responded that they love it. Thus, despite my own fears of required running, 運動会 is a GREAT day for all in Japan. With the exception of those who get heatstroke.

0 件のコメント: