火曜日, 3月 20, 2007

Goodbye, Love

Reading: 名古屋 Travel Guides
Listening: Love Mode, Clazziquai Project feat. PE'Z and VERBAL (m-flo)
Craving: luscious onion rings

Ulysses has been put on hold for vacation planning!

Though many vacationers visit tropical locations for spring break, my March holidays have always been spent in cooler temperatures (annual Oregon trip). This year is no exception as Chris and I trek north to Nagoya, Japan's fourth-largest city. (Granted, big cities, even those further north, are slightly warmer than the country chill we experience every day.) Between us, we've invested a small fortune in brilliant Japanese travel guides directing us to the best sights and tastes.

We head out early--around the time that a Japanese ばあちゃん wakes to prepare her family's breakfast--tomorrow morning on a long train journey using Seishun 18 Tickets purchased for 8000円 allowing us five days of unlimited riding (with the exception of all super speedy trains) on JR lines. The past week has been devoted to a flurry of activity planning, interrupted only by . . .
Our final visit to Star Child's!

Chris and I made our way to the joint just after its 6:00 pm opening and proceeded to gorge ourselves on our last taste of Star Child's food before its final closing on March 23rd.

cranberry juice
cheesy nachos + salsa
avocado cheese burger + fries (Kristine)
BBQ cheeseburger with avocado + fries (Chris)
warm apple pie ala mode
Our apple pie dessert was a pretty wonderful and not-so-bad substitute for the onion rings that we attempted to order after our dinner. Apparently, the one order of onion rings (placed by two skinny women who arrived after us) was all they had in stock! I unfortunately failed on my mission to eat not one, but two burgers, but even at Star Child's, there are limits to the consumption of juicy, meaty goodness--even for greedy pigs like me. We left with much lighter wallets, having shelled out twice as much money for classic American food than we ever would back home, but ohhh Star Child's. You have always been worth it.
[We return from Nagoya on Sunday. Look for an upcoming travel post!]

1 件のコメント:

Jessica さんのコメント...

Ulysses! I can't read the dates on your posts so I don't know how long ago you wrote this, but I hope you are enjoying Ulysses. I read it for a class on James Joyce and Virginia Woolf last semester and was so thankful I did--I feel like such a richer, more learned person for having made it through, and I find that I often think of things now in terms of Ulysses (in my Astronomy class we were talking about the phenomenon of parallax, and I was like, "Just like Stephen and Bloom in chapter 17!"). I also blog about Ulysses a fair amount. It's just such a rich well. Enjoy!

Jessica J.