火曜日, 3月 20, 2007

Dad Day

Reading: nytimes.com
Listening: Stuck on You, Elvis Presley
Craving: fried rice

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!
The time difference between Japan and Hawaii makes sending birthday wishes awkward. I'm timely here, but a day early back home. In any case, here's a shoutout for お父さん!
Why My Dad Rocks
by Kristine Wada, Grade One (I'm a first-year here, after all.)

He's an Artist. The day after Open House evenings at school, I would open my notebook to the parent-comment page, where I would find beautiful illustrations (or disgustingly funny doodles of Rat Fink) from Dad alongside my letters from Mom. A former art student, his talents may go unused in his credit union workplace, but his children have certainly reaped the benefits.
He's a Storyteller. In the pre-Harry Potter days, when Scott and I shared a room, Dad sat in the dark on a chair between our beds and wove stories of "Little Wizard"--a naughty wizard, but not a bad wizard--who found himself in all sorts of trouble. He continued narrating until we both fell asleep.
He's a Cook. Mom usually runs dinner production, but we all look forward to Dad's dinner specialties, his fried rice in particular. I once attempted to learn his secrets, but wound up discovering that certain dishes, like painting, require the creative touch of its original artist. It's the simplest foods that I love most from him. Dad makes a mean steak, but my favorite childhood food was the grilled cheese sandwiches he'd make me for breakfast before school.
He's Tall. With my father at six feet tall, I can usually make the childish taunt that "my dad is taller than your dad."
He Knows Everything. I learned early on not to ask Dad for help with homework--not because he can't help, but because he wound up supplying me with much more information than a lazy student ever cares to hear. In response to a query on the difference between latitude and longitude, we spent the entire evening reviewing world geography. Dad takes interest in learning all he can about subjects spanning from World War II to jungle cats to alien encounters.
He Loves Music. My tastes in music derive directly from my dad, who maintains an expansive and eclectic library (along with massive speakers too loud for our house) ranging from Vivaldi to Fleetwood Mac to the Ka'au Crater Boys to collections of eighties pop. Many a CD has found its way from his shelves to my room.
He Loves His Family. Though our family rarely expresses our love for one another directly, Dad finds ways to do so through his actions. He daily brought me my favorite chocolate mint candies when picking me up from school. In my first month here, he wrote me regular e-mails clearly indicating worry over my settling into solo life in Japan. Thankfully, I'm doing not so bad, eh?
Thanks Dad, for keeping the Wadas weird and wonderful.

0 件のコメント: