月曜日, 6月 30, 2008

My Last Cultural Festival at Miki Higashi

Friday, June 13: Prep Day
As always, preparations for 文化祭, the annual school cultural festival, began on Friday, following morning classes. Since I'm a member of two clubs, I c
ommitted to 華道部 for the afternoon, 茶道部 having far more members to assist with set-up.

Our flower order this year was enormous. The 華道部 girls unwrapped the blooms like children to Christmas presents.





We chose The Tale of Genji as our theme.

One of the students illustrated scenes from the work.

The four arrangements below represent women in the life of the Shining Prince. Can you guess which one I made?

Tamakazura / The Lady of the Evening Faces

Hanachirusato / Lady of the Village of Falling Flowers

Akashi-no-Kimi / Lady Akashi

Murasaki-no-Ue / Lady Murasaki

The members of 華道部, though 部長 is missing.
Saturday, June 14
At 7:30 am the following morning, I showed up for 茶道部 prep, a time chosen by the girls themselves. What dedication!

Around 8:30, the school assembled in the gym for the day's opening ceremonies. I sat with the part-time teachers at the back.


Sonoda Band--apparently they have an album or two out--performed for us. Their group consists of a pianist, two guitarists, a drummer, a violinist, and a cellist.

Eventually, students were dismissed to their festival duties, which could involve anything from supporting one's club to cooking food (the usual fare of takoyaki, yakisoba, etc.) to dancing/singing/playing guitar on stage to wandering around like a bum. I most admired the チヂミ (Korean savory pancakes) booth done by a class of third-years, who in 2007 went on a school trip to Korea and took away a new love for the country. (Luckily for them, Miki Higashi offers classes in both Korean and Chinese.) Their signs and T-shirts were decorated in colorful Hangeul, and the fact that they chose to celebrate another culture seemed to me most appropriate to the spirit of a 文化祭.

Tea Ceremony Club held its festivities outdoors this year.

I'm wearing a yukata borrowed from a sensei. And I think I have a picture with these girls from my first ever Cultural Festival at Miki Higashi.

The heat was terrible, as usual, especially in a yukata. Yet our tea booth did well; we sold out of tickets far before the end of the festival! I forgot several steps in my demonstration, not having done that particular ceremony in awhile, but it felt good to "graduate" with the girls and end my last festival here on a high note. Looking back on my photos from the first 文化祭, I'm happy to see that I've made good changes in two years. Walking among the booths, I could boast that I've taught every single student in the school. I participated with not one, but two clubs of amazing girls. And though my ikebana sensei may have doubted me at times (see my simple display of tropical flowers from a few years back), she was darn proud of my work this year. (Mine was the pink Lady Murasaki display.) The day was a little sad, as it was my last school event here, but out of my many experiences at Miki Higashi, this 文化祭 may be one of the best.

0 件のコメント: