水曜日, 6月 04, 2008

蛍の光 (The Light of the Firefly!)

Tonight my co-worker took me on a hotaru (firefly) hunt. The adventure unfolded yesterday afternoon when he saw me leave 茶道部 with a flower called 蛍袋 (hotarubukuro). Children enjoy tucking fireflies within the deep, pouch-like petals, which then light up from the creatures' glow. I'd heard the explanation numerous times, but I hadn't considered that I'd never seen a firefly. When Takase-sensei learned that, he offered to show me some!

In search of hotaru, we stopped by the home of one of the school office ladies. She lives beside a river, and fireflies, who apparently love clean water, repeatedly flock there. At first sight of the hotaru, I had to remind myself that the flying lights were bugs. Having seen nothing of the kind in Hawaii, they reminded me more of fairies than of anything I knew.

I didn't take any pictures, so I drew you one. That's what fireflies look like in the dusk.

A small group of us convened among the high grass, and between six humans and two dogs, we snagged a few glowing bugs for me to hold. Though I'd forgotten my flowers at home, my co-worker's wife showed up with a lavender hotarubukuro, into which she dropped two fireflies. I watched the soft green light pulse one, two, three behind the petals.

The firefly image I had in my mind was far from reality. Sometimes reality is not as fun as my imagination.

Catching Fireflies: Japanese summer memory ゲットした!

2 件のコメント:

Unknown さんのコメント...

Nice! I love your drawings ;-) No fireflies in Hawaii, I guess? I'm glad you got to finally see some!

愛子 さんのコメント...

YES!!!! i'm actually going to look at those little bugs tonight!!! i'm really excited because i've never seen glowing bugs before!

and... SUPER CUTE drawings by the way!