火曜日, 5月 20, 2008

バイバイ, Wendyさん

Reading: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Suzanna Clarke
Listening: "Way You Move," m-flo loves Dragon Ash
Craving: baked potato with sour cream, cheese, and chives
Mood: dreamy

Today is Tuesday, May 20, and I ate cinnamon french toast for dinner. While washing my plate, I realized that french toast is not conducive to my goal of losing weight. I'm now sitting at my computer, trying to both forget my calorie-high meal and remember what happened over the past few weeks.

* * *

The weekend after our return from the Grand Kyushu Adventure, Chris had PTA day at school. I caught the train to Tamba on Friday night, and from the station we went to an enkai with a large group of teachers living in the faculty housing. On Saturday morning, Chris woke early for work while I played Little Miss Housewife for the day: I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep.

On Sunday, we set out early for 道の駅 stamps in northern Kyoto.

Sunday, May 11
Maizuru Ho!

Chris is happy for lunch.

The city of Maizuru, located on the Sea of Japan, is known for crab.

舞鶴湾とれとれセンター features a spacious market, where men and women clad in high rubber boots loudly boast over fresh catches of enormous fish in all varieties. Tucked within the boxes of ice, I saw fat octopus legs, sleek squid bodies, and spiny sea urchins. Customers could order the sea creatures cooked; a seller would collect the desired item from the counter and drop it on a grill in the back. Families huddled around tables in the center of the market, large trays of food between them and a bowl of rice in each person's hands.

We made a number of stops around Maizuru, including the World Brick Museum, which features a collection of bricks from around the world. I noted pieces from the Great Wall of China and the Berlin Wall. While Chris took photos of photos of brick buildings across Japan, I practiced English- and French- style bricklaying using plastic blocks.

Our final stop in Maizuru was the 舞鶴引揚記念館 (Maizuru City Repatriation Memorial Museum), which commemorates efforts made at the end of World War II to repatriate Japanese prisoners-of-war from Siberian concentration camps.

Tuesday, May 13
Wendy made plans to 帰国する (that is, return to America) early, and we organized a final Girls' Night for her. Though Girls' Nights are unofficially known as "Meat Nights," that night we went in the opposite direction and ate vegetarian.

The weather was awful; though I had an umbrella, I was soon squishing around in soaked shoes and damp clothes. Much in need of a pick me up, I made plans to meet Lena early at Starbucks. I arrived first, and armed with a steamy caramel macchiato, I comfortably leaned back in my chair for a session of 人間観察 (people watching) under the pretense of reading. Though I'll admit that country life is quite nice, what I love about the city is the ready abundance of caffeine to remedy a rough day at work.

We met the other girls--each under an umbrella--near the station, where a McDonald's employee distributed cups of hot coffee. With its free rainy day beverages and recent release of green tea Oreo McFlurrys, the fast food chain is clearly out to win my heart.

Our group ate dinner at MotherArk Cafe, a favorite of Wendy's (and many vegetarian JETs's) located off of Tor Road. We found the place to be a cozy restaurant serving organic veggie cuisine. A large gray cat strolled the premises as though to prove exactly how animal-friendly the owners were. The ambience was soothing, with warm wood tones, soft lighting, and cushy pillows arranged against the seats. Colorful picture books and knicknacks adorned the shelves.

I ordered the eggplant-tomato quiche and a lemon ginger tea (not pictured). The food was delicious.

Lena and I performed for Wendy a Goodbye Rap, the second single released by L-Kizzle Productions. Unfortunately, I wasn't too genki, having by that time developed a horrible migraine. I wound up barfing in the bathroom and ruining the evening. (I was so sick that I didn't order dessert.) Luckily, I would see Wendy again on the weekend.

Saturday, May 18

It was the day of Wendy's goodbye party, but as we would be free all morning, Chris and I embarked on another 道の駅 Mission, this time to 淡路島 (Awaji Island), located off the coast of Kobe.

We drove across the 明石海峡大橋 again and visited 道の駅あわじ for our first stamp.

Awaji is blessed with a number of beautiful flower parks, but having only a day to sightsee, Chris and I had to choose one. We went with 淡路夢舞台 (Awaji Dream Stage), built in March of 2000. My immediate impression upon entering the gardens was that I want to be married there. The architecture, which beautifully juxtaposes moving water with thousands of seasonal flowers, blends smoothly into the landscape. I learned much later that the site was designed by Osaka-born architect Tadao Ando, whose work I'm very much in love with.




Chris takes in the view.

In 百段園, tiers of flowers--which change with the seasons--overlook the ocean below.


I love how the colors appear to blend among these flowers!

I was tempted to dip my foot in.

The park stands next to the Westin Awaji Resort. Big pimpin', baby.

The greenhouse is well known, but we didn't have time to go in.

We ate lunch at a Chinese restaurant on the premises. David Beckham and team dined there awhile back, and his signed picture adorns a shrine at the front. The table at which Beckham sat is marked by miniature banners.

Chris looks a little sad here because he's not as popular as Beckham is. Or maybe because his food hasn't arrived.

We finally left 夢舞台 full of spicy Chinese food. If money permits, I'll return. For my wedding!

The second 道の駅 of the day was un-fabulous. Even this 足湯 (foot bath), recommended by my trusty Michi no Eki book, was not too hot. Speaking of not too hot, my body is quite pasty. Eww. Don't you regret requesting pictures of me, Mom?

The cat art museum is located down the street from the station. I love the sculpture (at left) of a feline atop a whale. Chris said, "We have to move on."

Our next stop was at England Hill, based on England's Lake District. I can't say much of any resemblance, having never been to England, but to this literature major, the words "Lake District" conjure romantic images of poets Wordsworth and Coleridge, and I was happy to visit. Not to mention the grounds feature a greenhouse, animals (a petting zoo of bunnies, a koala house, an enclosure of wallabies and emus, and a sheep pasture), fruit orchards, and butter-churning/bread-baking activities. We only had time to see half of the place.

Chubby bunny!
The bun-buns hopped freely through the yard. Or sat and slept, as was the case for this one. I wanted to

smuggle out

rescue a rabbit under my shirt, but Chris said no.

"Hello, my name is Jack!" this duck told me.

I made a friend in the koala house. I don't think he's a koala.



From England Hill, we drove an hour south to 道の駅うずしお, located at the bottom of the island with a view of the famous Naruto Whirlpools. Umm, at least we had a glimpse of them. We now have ALL the station stamps for Hyogo, with the ironic exception of Miki.


The local soft cream flavors included biwa (loquat), salt, onion, and sudachi (a small green citrus fruit). I went with the sudachi, which was refreshing!

As the sun set, we stopped at Izanagi Shrine, known as the hiding place of the god Izanagi. The gravel-laid grounds were empty and serene, though no respect was shown by the swarms of small bugs that seemed to make my eyes the target of their dive attacks. The shrine features a 900+ year-old camphor tree, designated as a prefectural treasure. (The prefectural tree of Hyogo is the camphor. Totoro also loves camphor trees.)

Thanks to Chris speeding along the expressway, we returned to Miki just in time for Wendy's goodbye party at Ru Cafe. I had made reservations there a week in advance, and the husband and wife owners assembled a gorgeous course meal for our group of ten.

Appetizers of Mango Salad / Quiche / Hotaru Ika (Firefly Squid).
This was followed by warm potage.

Main Course was a seafood arrangement of fish, shrimp, scallop, and crispy anago (saltwater eel), served with an assortment of fresh veggies and drizzled with a sweet caramel sauce.

As the evening drew to a close, the lights were dimmed, and the chef carried out a two-tier cake, colorful with fresh fruits and candles, for Wendy to blow out.


After dinner, we drove to Wendy's apartment, where six of us watched an episode of The Office and talked story. From there, Chris and I took home goodies that Wendy no longer needed. We looked like hoodlums, loading up Chris's pimpmobile with a TV and DVD player.

I'm sad that Wendy's gone: I'll miss our dinners, having another Miki Chick at Meat Night, and sweating it up at the gym together. Still, I know she's happy to be home with Nathan!

Sunday, May 19
Chris and I were determined to clean up my house. We set up the sweet new TV, and along with it, my Playstation and Wii. I threw out rubbish and dusted and vacuumed all day, but I'm slightly concerned that I have so much clutter, all of which will have to be either sold or taken home.

In the evening, Clay came over, and we had dinner at Hakkaku Ramen, where once again I overate. Back at my place we enjoyed Wii time and sharing of YouTube videos before Clay picked up his DVD player and bookshelves (courtesy of Wendy) and went home.

And then the weekend ended, and here I am now.

0 件のコメント: