Monday, May 4
We left our hotel in Miyazaki and drove north to Oita!
We left our hotel in Miyazaki and drove north to Oita!

At our first 道の駅 of the day, my carnivorous nose picked up the scent of cooking meat. I waited in line to purchase a pack of freshly grilled local chicken.

And then Chris took me to the intended surprise.Can you spot the sign? It reads: "Totoro Entrance."
わくわく!

And in the back roads of what can only be called a "village," we found the Totoro bus stop. Totoro (The Chinese character features three cars.) is the actual name of this actual stop, which has been transformed by locals into a minor tourist attraction. Of course, die-hard fans like me know that the stop at which Mei and Satsuki encountered Totoro on a rainy night had no covered shelter, which thus necessitated that the girls lend the big cutie their father's umbrella.

One of my major goals in coming to Japan--number three after exploring the country and improving my Japanese--was to meet Totoro. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm getting closer!Chris and a swarm of mosquitos finally persuaded me to leave the area, and we moved on.
Chris walked down the road and crossed the street for a shot of the view. Oh the places that boy goes for pictures.
For lunch, Chris had katsu, and I ate dango jiru, a local miso-based soup filled with thick noodles and veggies.
We arrived in 別府 (Beppu), the famous onsen town of Oita, in the late afternoon.
Besides soaking in the hot springs, a popular Beppu tourist activity is making the rounds at eight jigoku, or hells.



Each of the jigoku had a "theme." Is the beauty of natural hot springs not enough of a pull? This location boasted a miniature zoo. I fed this elephant--who coincidentally is the same age I am--crackers and wished I could set her free. What a sad existence.
Another jigoku featured crocodiles--many many crocodiles piled one on top of another in shallow pools.
This T-shirt reads: "Everyday is hell."Despite the animal exploitation, I enjoyed the jigoku tour, and I wish we could've spent more time there. Since we arrived only an hour or so from closing time, we found ourselves rushing between sites. Aside from the gimmicky exhibits, the hot springs themselves are beautiful.

For dinner, Chris and I ate at an 居酒屋, our first choice restaurant being booked for the evening. Number Two was a good pick though--we each ate the 鶏天定食, a set meal of the local battered chicken. As I chewed my meat, I watched large, wide-eyed fish swim circles around a tank; the top item on the menu is fresh sashimi.After dinner, we went to Take---(?) Onsen. It's quite famous, and it's cheap: we paid a mere 100 yen each to bathe. We quickly learned, however, that you get what you pay for. The pricier onsen that we've visited feature locker room and shower spaces separate from the baths. Upon entering these facilities, however, I stepped through the curtain and came face-to-face with the bath and a scattering of naked old women. I wasn't the only one shocked by the simplicity: every woman who came through the door wore the same look of surprise on her face. The water was a little too hot for my comfort though, and though I took my time washing my hair and body, I soaked for a mere minute before dressing and waiting for Chris outside.
Refreshed from our bath, Chris and I spent the remainder of the evening at nearby YouMe Town, where we did a little shopping before returning to our hotel. Ahh, last night in Kyushu!












1 件のコメント:
reasons to visit oita:
totoro town
purin
llama
hot springs
you look SO HAPPY standing in the cat bus!!!!
コメントを投稿