金曜日, 12月 07, 2007

America, パート5

Thursday, November 22
Mom made waffles and bacon for breakfast. I lay in bed. I had been looking forward to a beach day, but I woke feeling sick and wound up staying in. I played couch potato and watched a Law and Order marathon. Mom brought me hot tea throughout the day, even warming my Big City leftovers for me at lunch. Thanks, Mommy!

Around 5:00 pm, we visited Dad’s side of the family in Pearl City, where I met my cousins’ babies Kaleb and Mycah for the first time. I wanted to hold them—they’re so adorable—but since my cold had worsened, I waved and made faces from far away.

We then drove back to Kahala for Thanksgiving dinner at my Aunty Susan’s (technically my mother’s cousin), where I received applause upon entering. I love my family. Even more than I love Thanksgiving food, which is quite a lot.

七面鳥、七面鳥!
Not in complete turkey form here, but still yummy.

My mom makes the ham, but I'm a turkey girl.


My favorite. I could eat the entire dish.

Cranberry sauce in canned and homemade form.

Chris arrived shortly after we did. After five years together, he is an un-official member of the Yamada Clan. The newbie at this year’s gathering was my cousin Matt’s girlfriend Noelle.

As usual, I spent my time with the little girl cousins. On my last Easter home, we ran a nail salon and treated family members to manicures and pedicures. This year, the girls hosted a bizarre fortune telling booth with shrieks of “Welcome, Kristy, to your worst nightmare!” over a microphone and “Summer Splash” Febreeze sprayed in my face. The girls claimed it was bird spit.


Following a round of desserts, none of which I ate thanks to entertaining the girlies, Chris drove me home. Though we drive together all the time in Japan, sitting next to him in his parents’ Camry, immediately brought me back to our first summer of dating.

Mom asked that I cancel my plans for midnight shopping with Alli and her co-workers, and by the time we reached home, I was thankful that I had. My cold swallowed me whole, and I fell asleep quickly.

0 件のコメント: