金曜日, 12月 07, 2007

America, パート3

Tuesday, November 20
I woke up too late for a good breakfast, but inhaled a cup of pink grapefruit before Dad drove me to the dentist. My concern over a possible cavity was the primary reason for my sudden and spontaneous trip home; I'm fearful of Japanese dentists. Though I’m comfortable visiting Japanese internists and even gynecologists, I've heard only horror stories about the dentists here. As it turns out, my American dentist located an enormous cavity that may have required a root canal had I waited until I returned home permanently. I got my cleaning, my mouth feels better, and I avoided a root canal. Good job, Kristine.

In the afternoon, my mouth still numb from painkillers, I went to Bishop Museum with Scott, who had a museum-related biology assignment to complete. For those who might like to visit, check your resident status. It’s $35 for regular admission, versus $5 with local identification. At the museum, we met a number of Scott’s classmates completing the same paper. Though the visit was boring for the young 'uns, I snapped pictures and happily explored the different exhibits. I loved the temporary exhibition on the brain, as well as the new-ish science building. The latter featured a miniature volcano with lava tube slide (Scott rolled his eyes as I got myself stuck), underwater robots you can battle with practice operating, and a “Which-Animal-Is-a-Danger-to-the-Environment?” costume corner.

Mountain naupaka.

Scooter, mocking ピース. I rock it harder.

Scott wouldn't let me dress up.

This creepy lava tunnel was lit by black lights.

We were early for dinner at Grandma’s, which meant we hung out at Best Buy and Costco. I picked up beef jerky and madeleines. I once baked my own madeleines in a lemon version, grinding my own almond flour, and I agree that homemade is best, but I can’t complain about store-bought when it comes in a large bowl of soft, cake-y goodness. Before leaving, we bought a custard pie (Scott’s pick) and a chocolate-haupia pie (my pick) for dessert. And hey Costco, where’s the poke bar? (For those curious, I’ll write more on poke later.)

We ate Hawaiian food for dinner.

On the left is poi, starchy taro pounded to a thick paste.


Clockwise, from Left.
lomi lomi salmon - A mix of fresh onions, tomatoes, and salmon.
haupia - Like coconut milk Jell-O. But better.
kalua pork - Tender, pulled pork. Traditionally cooked in an imu (underground oven).
lau lau - Can consist of an assortment of meats, wrapped in taro leaves and traditionally cooked in the imu.
sweet potato - Cooked yaki-imo style.


The good stuff.
Poke (in Hawaii, pronounced either "pokay" or "pokey") is raw fish (usually ahi / aku) tossed with a variety of delish ingredients. The poke above includes shoyu and green onions. It often includes limu (seaweed), kukui nut, and sea salt. So ono.

Grandma, next to the kitchen counter that has served up countless perfect meals.

Scott / Aunty Faye / Keri / Nick / Mom

My cousins, who I hadn’t seen in over a year, quadrupled in size. I’ve gotten bigger too, though in a much different way.

0 件のコメント: