木曜日, 5月 24, 2007

焼きとお~り!

Reading: キッチン、吉本ばなな
Listening: Sweetness, Jimmy Eat World
Craving: beef stroganoff

Work is dull. Having finished my lesson plans for the next two weeks, I brought (Japanese) study materials to fill my time, but I can't focus on the text when the gorgeous weather framed in the window adjacent to me is beckoning for exploration.

ALTs are constantly trapped in the office, even when their absence would hardly be noticed. Though I'm relaxing behind my desk with a fat sack of KitKats and the Times, my co-workers and students are toiling through midterm examinations and preparations for the school 文化祭 (Culture Day), which takes place early this year on June 16. As I wrote in a post last November, 文化祭 is a special day (or two) on which the school's clubs exhibit their talents to parents and the community. 華道部 (Flower Arrangement Club), all two members of us, will arrange displays. 茶道部 (Tea Ceremony Club) will serve 和菓子 (traditional Japanese sweets) and 抹茶 (green tea) to guests. As a member of the latter, I'll wear a yukata (on loan from my teacher) and look deceptively Japanese.

The Japanese love edible leaves. Munch munch.

Last night, I went to dinner with Jason and Grace, the ALTs at Miki High School. I haven't left my house after dark in awhile, afraid to walk alone, but Jason is my neighbor, and I happily found a ride with him. We at at a yakitori chain called 大吉 (Daikichi), where Jase and Grace are regulars. The owners are a chatty, generous couple who love fishing, motorcycles, and parasailing, in addition to serving delicious grilled chicken. They took our picture (for their customer wall) and brought us complimentary dessert. As are most people here, they were surprised that I am an American (and not 日本の方), but after the disbelief settled, they excitedly rattled off to me the names of good Miki Higashi families who patronize 大吉.

My hands dripped with juicy yakitori sauces, and I have no pictures of the meal. Sorry. We started with salty edamame, herb-butter potatoes, and quail eggs before proceeding to an assortment of skewered chicken, leeks, and eggplant smothered in melting cheese. I ate a yaki-onigiri accompanied by a fresh side of pickles. I'll return for the salty shiso-wrapped chicken garnished with a dollop of tart ume paste. For dessert, we were served maple syrup-flavored popcorn (!) and luscious ice cream pops. I chose a pink, azuki-flavored one.

ピース!(Peace!) 外人 Style

I love these ambiguous days when the weather teeters at the edge of spring, waiting to fall suddenly into summer. At any moment, June heat will burst forward, pulling apart sweet May breezes . . . but for now, I can believe that the world is perfect. The air smells clean of hanging laundry and cooking rice. I'm off for a pleasant walk to a large lunch. またね!

0 件のコメント: