Reading: Ha!
Listening: "Thriller," Michael Jackson
A post on the grand Tokyo Motor Show weekend is in the works.
Wednesday, October 31
Another Halloween in Japan. Same as last year, I "dressed up" by accessorizing with fluffy animal ears. Then, black cat; now, panda.
During second period, I conducted the requisite Halloween lesson, a PowerPoint presentation on the history and traditions of our spookiest of holidays--an ARRRGH-inspiring class thanks to bad student attitudes. One girl refused to believe that the Celts celebrated the new year on November 1st. "The year starts in January, not November!" she shouted. Another student repeatedly squealed, "Hazukashii (Embarrassing)!" as I talked of wearing costumes to school and work. I attempted to explain that though certain customs might sound unusual from their Japanese perspective, they are real and significant to others. The teacher responded by merely by telling the students to shush.
Cultural ignorance in this country is appalling, with many citizens--children and adults alike--not aware of and not open to the concept of societies and cultures separate from their own. Following news of the shootings at Virginia Tech, I was faced with an onslaught of questions on gun laws in America. Students and teachers were astonished to learn that no, I don't own a gun, no, I've never fired a gun, and no, I don't wish I had a gun. My irritation (is that the word?) with this aspect of Japan is neither new nor unusual. Many a foreigner who has spent some time here knows that despite its claim to be part of a globalized society, Japan is far from such.
The lesson ended with a large picture of Halloween candy and a student snidely commenting, "That's why Americans are so fat." Sometimes I wish I didn't understand Japanese.
Thankfully, I spent the evening with Heather and Wendy, as well as Chris, who drove down for the evening. We had dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory in Harborland, where I had my fill of unlimited fresh bread, garlic butter, and bitching. Good friends are what keep me from screaming. Stubborn refusal to accept that a larger world exists is more frightening than any zombie.

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿