Saturday, November 3
We woke to a cold and foggy morning in Tamba for Hikami High School's 文化祭 (cultural festival). I arrived in thick and fuzzy layers, but as the sun rose, the temperature warmed.
We visited the ostriches. We wandered through displays of student art, attended a mini rock concert, and attempted to visit a haunted house (the ghouls were on lunch break). Chris sang along to “Hey Jude” with a guitar-playing イケメン. All the above occurred between eatings.
I’ll skip to the good part.
The Eats
- キムチなべ (kim chee soup) Spicy broth filled with thinly sliced pork, cabbage, and daikon. Perfect for keeping warm in cold weather.
- ベビカステラ (round, miniature cakes) The cakes were cooked in molds on a grill and served in assorted flavors, passed out in paper bags. I loved the green tea flavored cake.
- そばせん (soba-sen, short for soba-senbei) Warm yakisoba sandwiched between thin, crisp shrimp-flavored wafers.
- たこせん (tako-sen, short for takoyaki-senbei) Small, round spheres of octopus-stuffed grilled dough sandwiched between thin, crisp shrimp-flavored wafers. We also shared the usual takoyaki, served in a plastic tray and drenched with sauce, mayonnaise, and ao-nori. Eat with toothpicks.
- 鮭なべ (salmon soup) The class used Hokkaido salmon for the large pots of soup. I preferred the offering from last year. And the fish was overcooked.
We arrived late for the main event, the “Daikon Dance”—the annual spectacle in which the agricultural students jump, jive, and boogie with fat white radishes in each hand. We nearly missed out on the distribution of free daikon, but with a good amount of pushing, we made our way through the throngs of greedy old women to snag a package. We also took home a box of nori-shio potato chips from
Sunday, November 4
In the morning, we returned to Miki, where we attended 金物祭り, the Metal Goods Festival famous to my town. Though tourists flock to my friend Jamie’s city for savory ramen, mine is best known for kanamono, metal goods such as saws, scythes, or knives.
(Long pause.)


After the festival, we requested pricings on tickets to
Saturday, November 10
In the afternoon, Clay appeared at my place, and he, Chris, and I drove north for Tamba! Along the way, we visited the “belly button of
I love the park surrounding the belly button, with its abundance of green grass, wide spaces, and abandoned cats. I made friends with one of the love-deprived creatures. We skipped the park’s quirky science and art museums due to lack of time, but we raced down the roller slides and ran through the playgrounds until sunset.
Sunday, November 11
Happy Birthday Heather!
One of the best stations I’ve seen, with glass ceilings, a library, art and cooking classes, and a flea market day. I could spend all day.
The water mascots love me as much as I love them.
Further along our journey, we visited 高山寺(Kozan-ji), a World Heritage Site. All around, signs of autumn were subtly appearing.

Horrible shots. For better ones, view Clay’s or Chris’s. I admired the changing colors, but according to the Japanese, the 紅葉 won’t be truly beautiful until they have all transformed.
We were confused as to whether this building was the main temple.

Dango, in the local flavor. Mochi grilled crisp, yet soft beneath the surface, surrounding a center of sweet anko.
We next drove into the city, attempting to see 東寺 (Tou-ji) for a special event. Traffic, however, delayed us, and we were turned away at the entrance. Instead we met Lauren at her nearby apartment and had dinner at Kurama in Kyoto Station. Family, we ate here together, remember?
What I love about
After dinner, we window-shopped at the station department store, and found dessert at a Lipton Café. I ordered a rich banana-chocolate pie and a luscious Uva
The fragrance and taste were as rich as the color.
We all took pictures.




1 件のコメント:
Ooof, my hair wave makes my forehead look massive.
コメントを投稿