月曜日, 7月 30, 2007

Clazzi to the Quai, Osaka Style

Saturday, July 28
Osaaaka Osaaaka. 1.5 hours of train-riding FUN.

With the excitement of passing our weekend in big city adventures, Chris and I booked cheap beds at a business hotel, dropped off our luggage, and began the day. Our first stop was 芦原橋 (Ashiharabashi. Say that three times fast), an area far more poverty-stricken than we spoiled kids commonly observe, particularly in Japan.



A bus seat, designed after a drum.

Despite the abundance of graffiti and sketchy men in pimp suits to witness, our sightseeing goal was in fact Liberty Osaka, 大阪人権博物館 (Osaka Human Rights Museum), by far the most intriguing museum I've visited in this country.

The museum features exhibits on topics considered taboo in this society--that is, issues of discrimination faced by countless individuals within Japan.

  • Korean Residents in Japan
  • Okinawans
  • The Ainu
  • Women (i.e. Sexual Violence and Feminism)
  • "Sexual Minority" (i.e. Expression of Sexual Identity and Sexual Diversity)
  • People with Disabilities
  • People with HIV and People with AIDS
  • Hansen's Disease Survivors
  • Homeless People
  • Buraku
  • Victims of Pollution
  • Victims of Minamata Disease

A sweatshirt in the "Feminism" exhibition, which argues that the children of single women deserve passports.

Chris and I requested English language pamphlets at the door, receiving listening devices as well, which were prompted by sensors at each exhibit. I thought the museum did a beautiful job of demonstrating that human rights issues that affect not only the victims of discrimination, but every individual who lives within the same society. Though a human rights museum might come across as depressing, we primarily left feeling inspired by the countless stories of those who determinedly fought and continue to fight against unjust laws and belief systems in Japan.

In the evening, we attended a Birthday/Goodbye Party for my neighbor Jason. I ate my fill of El Pancho's delicious food, mmm-ing and ahh-ing over mouthfuls of chicken fajitas and nachos. The others continued the celebrations with karaoke in Amagasaki, but having already booked our hotel, Chris and I turned in for the night.

Sunday, July 29
Checking out from our hotel, we walked to 新世界 (Shinsekai, New World). Several vendors along the morning streets had opening shop, feeding the hungry crowds with bubbling pots of chicken and other skewered items. A long time ago, Shinsekai was known as an up-and-coming area--hence the name, but sadly, it diminished into a slightly seedy-looking town, despite that it is filled with tourists in search of the 串かつ (kushikatsu, breaded and deep-fried foods on a stick) and 通天閣 (Tsuutenkaku) famous to Osaka.

The famous tower. We paid 600円 to get to the tower top, where we took in a panoramic view of the sprawling city.

Billiken, a comical figure created in the 1960's by an American artist, caught on well in Japan, where he was raised to the position of a deity. The shops of Shinsekai feature Billiken in their doorways, as he promises happiness and good fortune. The wooden statue in the photo above sits inside the tower itself; his lucky feet are worn with grooves from the stroking of tourists hopeful that Billiken's good fortunes will rub off.
Chris and I then went to 長堀橋 (Nagahoribashi), intending to transfer to 心斎橋 (Shinsaibashi), but we missed the transfer and instead wound up lost in the neighborhood. We eventually found our way to our original destination, where we had lunch at Pietro's.

In Hawaii, the restaurant chain is known for Italian food with a Japanese twist. Here in Japan, it's just known as Italian cuisine. I had a Napolitan-style pizza topped with fresh tomato and tender mozzarella. Chris ate a meaty pasta. We shared a rich chocolate gateau.

After lunch, we caught the subway to 大阪歴史博物館 (Osaka Museum of History).

We love history.

"Shade bearers" in the Naniwa Court.
Nice hair, ladies.

A depiction of a man cooling hot crowds with splashes of water.

Me on a bad day.

I went crazy over the scale models.

I spent a fifteen minutes assembling this 3-D pot puzzle in the (children's) interactivity center. Before you judge me, I completed my puzzle before a little boy and his dad did.

From the museum, we returned to 心斎橋, where sipped Starbucks drinks before heading to Club Quattro for a little concert by Clazziquai Project.

Clazziquai is on tour from Korea, promoting their latest album, Love Child of the Century.
Their sounds are a refreshing mix of jazz, dance, and electronica with a dollop of pop on top.
The Clazziquai Project mascot is a pig.

Alex (vocals) / DJ Clazzi / Horan (vocals)

Alex is Canadian, and though he is fluent in Korean, he emceed the concert in English.

I had bought our tickets through the fan site, and we were 61st and 62nd to get in, scoring great spots in the center, with a clear view of the stage. Clazziquai put on a rockin' performance, and I'm anxious to check out another concert of theirs.

Following the concert, two mascots--one "boy pig" and one "girl pig" with a flower behind her ear--hopped out from backstage to say goodbye. (i.e. hand out promotional pamphlets and kick everyone out of the club)

The pig I'm standing with would not stop jumping and wildly waving his hands; we finally calmed him down to take a picture with me. I gave him a kiss on the snout, and we headed home.

Clazziquai Project Live? やばい!

0 件のコメント: