水曜日, 4月 11, 2007

Springtime in Miki

Reading: Gilead. Still.
Listening: さくら、ケツメイシ
Craving: lasagna

Arriving at work is much more pleasant with sakura as greeters.


Opening the school year in spring felt strange after years of fall beginnings, but I now love that with the excitement of new classes comes the fragance of spring. Though I once questioned Japan's obsession with sakura, I can now understand why it is so respected as a symbol of national culture and spirit.

In the past few days, we've said goodbye to departing teachers and welcomed young first-year students. Yesterday I embarrassed myself by crying in the staff room as my supervisor gave her farewell speech. I'll miss her.

We celebrated a successful club presentation (appealing to new recruits) by the tea ceremony girls with matcha and sakura mochi. The latter sweet consists of sticky pink mochi rice filled with sweet an and wrapped in a saltwater-soaked sakura leaf. The leaf itself can be eaten, but I dislike its sour, bitter flavor, and I usually peel it off.

I begin classes tomorrow!

0 件のコメント: