Listening: Come to Me, Clazziquai Project
Craving: vegetable quiche
We met Hikami High School teachers at a tiny izakaya on Friday night. As they were amazed that I'm an American, I was surprised at the abundance of young teachers at the school. Miki Higashi teachers tend to be of a more . . . advanced age. Chris's co-workers were all friendly and outspoken, and their drunkenness made me far less embarrassed about using my Japanese. We spent the night in Tamba and spent the following afternoon at YouMe Town, the local shopping "mall," where we inevitably ran into several local JETs.
Along the drive back to Miki, we stopped by Harima Park (兵庫県立播磨中央公園), a beautiful location with ponds, trees, flowers, and various playgrounds--a good place to visit with kids and/or dogs in tow. My favorite section was a circle of cherry blossom trees surrounding a broad grassy area, on which groups of families and friends were picnicking beneath the falling petals.
Chris and I spent Sunday like an old married couple by visiting Jusco for lunch, eating tenzaru soba alongside the many grandparents of Miki. We shopped for groceries before heading home for an afternoon of Wii time accompanied by a large bowl of edamame. We made our evening special by eating at Osteria Dell 'Arancio.
I'm sure that I've mentioned this favorite Miki restaurant of mine, which beautifully blends Italian, French, and Japanese cuisines. The four chefs and small waitstaff are young and well-informed about food.
Chris and I arrived at 8:00 pm and discovered that we were the only diners in the restaurant. On ordering our pre-fixe dinners, the waitress checked whether there were any foods that we didn't particularly like. I can be slightly picky about certain meats, but I trust in the Osteria Dell 'Arancio cooks, and confidently said, "No."
Starter
smoked salmon over quiche
The quiche featured a buttery, flaky crust with a smooth egg filling that leaves the diner saying, "Ooh."
Salad
field greens and plum tomatoes topped with baby squid and corn crisps
balsamic vinaigrette
I was not a fan of the (whole) baby squid; the feeling of the tentacles down my throat was not pleasant. (I learned exactly what food I do not like.) The freshly baked corn crisps, however, matched the salad perfectly.
Soup
spring pea
The smooth texture of the warm, creamy soup contrasted with the spring peas nestled beneath the surface.
Bread
wheat rolls with basil butter
The freshly baked breads served here rank among my favorites. (Top still being pillowy foccaccia with chili aioli at The Pineapple Room.)
Pasta
sausage and broccoli gnocchi
The sausage was served without the casings, accompanied by thin, crisp slivers of broccoli. The dish was garnished with a flurry of toasted garlic, a popular noodle condiment in Japan.
Dessert
vanilla custard and vanilla ice cream
iced cafe au lait
This restaurant wisely employs an on-staff pastry chef, and the desserts are always spectacular. My custard, enveloped in a light caramel sauce, melted on the tongue, and I wished I'd had a gallon of the homemade ice cream. The fresh Italian espresso makes Starbucks look pathetic.
The one fault that I find with Osteria Dell 'Arancio is that the pasta is often dressed with too much garlic. Admittedly, I love the stuff, but the power of the toasted garlic takes away from the subtler flavors (local vegetables and tasty meats) presented in their dishes. This problem can be remedied by requesting less garlic next time. Food at this restaurant is prepared as the customer wishes.
Our dinner total came to 5300 yen (I chose gnocchi over spaghetti, which cost an extra 300), a bit pricey, but always well worth it. I never have pictures from Osteria Dell 'Arancio, but if you're curious, you should just join me.

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿