I always hate goodbyes, and my last full day in Hawaii still feels incomplete.
In the morning, Chris and I said goodbye to his grandma and his former colleague before heading to the Japanese Consulate for our JET Pre-Departure Orientation, where we listened to words of encouragement and most importantly, were returned our passports with attached instructor visas. It felt surreal sitting in the cool of the home of the Consul General, remembering that just earlier this year, I was sick in a consulate bathroom, nervous before my interview for this very program. Now that I finally have the chance to participate in JET, a my goal for most of my college years, I feel like a child whose greatest wish has been granted!
Following the Farewell Luncheon, Chris and I visited my grandparents. I at first thought that saying goodbye at their home, instead of the airport, would be easier on my emotions, but I still wound up crying as I pulled away from Grandma and Grandpa.
Chris and I later visited our great-grandparents' graves, and I felt happy that I got to say goodbye to Baba, my great-grandmother, for whom I began studying Japanese in the first place. I wish that she were still alive to see us leaving for her home country, but it's really satisfying knowing that during the next year, I'll be living in and learning about the curious place that she came from.
After a quick visit to Kahala Mall, I came home to begin a frustrating packing mission. All I can say is, it's now 1:30 am, and I still have more work to do.
My next entry won't appear for awhile, but it will feature Kristine in Japan!

0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿