火曜日, 9月 26, 2006

文化祭

Listening: マタアイマショウ, Seamo
Reading: Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte

*This post is long overdue.*

Preparations for the school festival began early on Friday afternoon (September 22).

These first-year girls are putting the finishing touches on one of many Habatan panels that they created with chopsticks.

Our ikebana club assembled on the second floor corridor, where we spent the afternoon arranging our presentations for the festival.

The teachers employed male students for such rough labor as setting up food tents.

These students are standing in front of an image of the Miki Higashi phoenix (like Habatan). I met this boy while walking home from school one day. He's not one of my students, but he did a great job of conversing with me in English.

These girls are several of my favorite first-years. Shhh. I'm not supposed to have favorites!

I happily found the cooking club at their tiny booth, selling yummy chocolate chip pound cakes in cute paper bags. I purchased two packages, which I hope made up for eating all those cakes at their practice session.

While the other members of ikebana constructed delicate arrangements of Japanese flowers, the instructor selected a "tropical" selection of materials for me (I am from Hawaii, after all.), allowing me full freedom to arrange them how I wished. Ta dah.

Our entire club worked together in the construction of this piece, inspired by the autumn mountainside.

文化祭 was all around a great experience, allowing me to see my students in a new light. Chris and I appeared in an interview with the school broadcasting club, during which I was asked such personal questions as "How many children you want?" and "What your favorite tempura?" Nosy kids.

During the performance portion of the festival, we enjoyed songs from the numerous and terrific garage bands of Miki Higashi. I wish that I were in a band. I'm thinking that I may be able to sign on as a tambourine player.

At the conclusion of the festival, Chris and I gorged ourselves at the nearby kaiten-zushi place, not having quite filled up on karaage and mini cakes at school. After lunch, we shopped for awhile at Jusco (the biggest shopping in Miki), where I bought myself a jade-green tea set that matches my kitchen perfectly.

For dinner, I took Chris to my favorite restaurant in Miki, Osteria Dell'Arancio, a tiny Italian place only a short drive from my home. I've only eaten there twice, but every experience has been utterly amazing. My dinner set included a light avocado-tomato puree; wonderfully fresh ceviche; hearty potato soup; earthy breads served with rosemary butter; rich carbonara pasta with tender bacon; fluffy coconut cake with smooth vanilla ice cream; and soothing milk tea. Foodie that I am, I could hardly stop gushing with delight over each bite. My mouth waters now as I think back on that meal. The restaurant presents not only delicious food, but also a wonderful eating experience in a quiet, intimate setting of warm wood tones and soft lighting. I sing Osteria Dell'Arancio's praises to everyone I meet, but I'm not the only one in love with the place, which frequently fills up and closes to the public on weekends for weddings and special parties.

Despite my desire to linger long over the food, Chris and I returned home quickly to watch the Densha Otoko television special, an extra episode of our favorite Japanese series following the lives of the characters after the end of the show. Although cute, the conclusion of this episode left us impatient for Fuji to put out the next extra.

The following day, we traveled into Sannomiya. I happily enjoyed a mocha frappuccino before heading into Tokyu Hands, where I bought a cheery yellow apple-shaped teapot, baking soda, and a new journal among other things. For lunch, we ate at our frequent meal spot, Curry House, where I had an omelette/potato croquette dish. Yum!

We later found a Gap, where I spent an enjoyable hour chatting up the cute salesgirls for fashion advice. (I forgot to mention to them that I worked for the company for three years.) I left with my wallet considerably lighter, but I felt content for having found a number of nice items from "my store."

I shouldn't have spent so much at Gap since Chris and I soon discovered the haven of a Junkudo, nestled within the chaos of the shopping street. We both went a bit crazy, as we always do in bookstores, but the purchase of literature (or great shoes) is never one to regret.

This day was not a good day for saving money since we soon after found a sports shop selling Habatan merchandise. We shelled out a total of 6000 yen in T-shirts, handkerchiefs, keychains, towels, and my wonderful Habatan baseball cap! I already have plans with another Habatan-obsessed friend for a special day in which we wear all of our gear. I'm ready.

In the evening, Chris and I had dinner at an Italian restaurant in Harborland. I ate a pizza topped with assorted mushrooms, which could have used more taste, but at least the tiramisu was pretty delish. We later browsed through the swanky Hankyu department store where I bought a lusciously cozy cashmere scarf.

We headed home through the subway, exhausted, thus ending a lengthy, yet pretty darn great weekend.

1 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

omg update. I hope you're happy, Kristine. I am starving now.

so hungryyy....and jealous of habatan guzu...